Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Value Of Words

We've been using words now for so long that I think we've kind of forgotten that they're just some shit we made up. Words are not inherent in nature, nor do they have any existence independent of our minds and this world we have made for ourselves. There's no such thing as good words or bad words. They're just words, sounds, wavelengths of vibrating air and symbols in our brains. I used to play this game with my dog, where I would scold him horribly in a melodious "good dog" tone: "You're such a bad dog, Max, I hate you." His tail would wag and he would get all happy. Then I would praise him in a "bad dog" tone of anger: "You're a GOOD DOG, Max! Such a GOOD DOG!" and he would shrink up in shame.  He didn't give a shit what words I used. The TONE and FEELING of the words was what he derived meaning from. Words have no inherent value.

No comments: